SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2019

From:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2019 10:47:31 +0000
On 29/01/2019 10:24, S. Vergani wrote:
> Dear John,
>
> sorry I forgot to add the this part of your message
>
>>> This bit of magic, from a recent post, is said to stop that link
>>> getting camouflaged:
>>>
>>> <begin pgp signed message to disable safelinks/>
>
> was not clear to me.
>
> Many thanks,
> Stefano
>

> On 2019-01-29 10:14, S. Vergani wrote:

>>> Hi:  In the past people have found that their systems had not properly
>>> upgraded.  I don't know  whether the underlying problems have been
>>> fixed now, but this thread might help:
>>>
>>> https://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind1805&L=SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS&P=13374
>>>

>>> This bit of magic, from a recent post, is said to stop that link
>>> getting camouflaged:
>>>
>>> <begin pgp signed message to disable safelinks/>
>>>
>>> The 'overnight' freezes problem really needs logs, or at least some
>>> indication of what processes had been active.  Firefox videos,
>>> perhaps?
>>>
>>> John P
>>

>> Dear John,
>>
>> thank you very much for your help. I tried the "magic spelling" the
>> post suggested, but nothing happened. This is such a weird issue, the
>> first day SL 7.6 was completely different and when I shut down I
>> somehow downgraded back to 7.5 even if now it still says I am running
>> SL 7.6 but in boot phase I can choose only SL 7.5.
>>
>> Regarding the overnight freezes, I have been fighting against it
>> forever. It happens in every situation, simply every time I clik
>> "restart" or I close the pc without locking it, it freezes forever.
>> This started when I upgraded from SL 7.4 to 7.5. Before that, it was
>> perfect. Apparently, the issue was solved upgrading to SL 7.6 but now
>> this second issue kicked in.
>>
>> Do you have any other suggestion?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Stefano

Hello Stefano:  I'm not sure if you tried the sequence that I linked in
my reply:

yum remove yum-conf-sl7x
yum install yum-conf-sl7x
yum clean all
yum update

The link was to the list archives on 15 May last year, and you can view
the whole thread for the background.  The 'magic' line was intended to
stop the mailing list scrambling the URL, and it looks as if it worked.
See the most recent posts in the archive for that.  I must admit that
the URL with its 'scripts/wa.exe' does look a little unlikely, but you
can get to the archive via the SL website if you wish.

Otherwise I can only hope that someone else can help.

Good luck,

John