SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2019

From:
"S. Vergani" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
S. Vergani
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2019 10:14:57 +0000
On 2019-01-28 18:40, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 28/01/2019 14:10, S. Vergani wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am running scientific linux on a ThinkPad t440p. During the past 1.5
>> years, I have been experiencing the same apparently unsolvable problem
>> with SL 7.5. Every time I closed the pc without locking it or I tried
>> to restart it, the pc froze and the only thing to do was to force shut
>> down. I have been using GNOME classic but with any other desktop as
>> well (I tried them all) the problem persisted.
>>
>> I upgraded yesterday to SL 7.6 and finally the issue disappeared. This
>> morning I started again the session and SL was back to 7.5. When I
>> start the session (I have windows 7 dual-boot) I can choose only
>> between some versions of SL 7.5 and windows. The aesthetics is then
>> exactly as it was with SL 7.5, but when I check which version I am
>> running it shows SL 7.6. The old issue came back and again it freezes
>> every time.
>>
>> Could someone help me with the matter? To summarize, the selections
>> during boot phase, the aesthetics, and the old issues of SL 7.5 are
>> back, but I upgraded to SL 7.6 and when I ask for the OS the output is
>>
>> NAME="Scientific Linux"
>> VERSION="7.6 (Nitrogen)"
>> ID="scientific"
>> ID_LIKE="rhel centos fedora"
>> VERSION_ID="7.6"
>> PRETTY_NAME="Scientific Linux 7.6 (Nitrogen)"
>> ANSI_COLOR="0;31"
>> CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:scientificlinux:scientificlinux:7.6:GA"
>> HOME_URL="https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.scientificlinux.org__&d=DwICAg&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=Aqd5_VH4PlFI7GAYLgL25bt5Og8RNo4gM-d9z9NJh7A&s=QXGDFZ1WCt4tUiw6xnohs8oDWnt_8gJoHiC7vW6ikH8&e="
>> BUG_REPORT_URL="mailto:[log in to unmask]"
>>
>> REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT="Scientific Linux 7"
>> REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT_VERSION=7.6
>> REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="Scientific Linux"
>> REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION="7.6"
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Stefano
>
> Hi:  In the past people have found that their systems had not properly
> upgraded.  I don't know  whether the underlying problems have been
> fixed now, but this thread might help:
>
> https://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind1805&L=SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS&P=13374
>
> This bit of magic, from a recent post, is said to stop that link
> getting camouflaged:
>
> <begin pgp signed message to disable safelinks/>
>
> The 'overnight' freezes problem really needs logs, or at least some
> indication of what processes had been active.  Firefox videos,
> perhaps?
>
> John P

Dear John,

thank you very much for your help. I tried the "magic spelling" the post
suggested, but nothing happened. This is such a weird issue, the first
day SL 7.6 was completely different and when I shut down I somehow
downgraded back to 7.5 even if now it still says I am running SL 7.6 but
in boot phase I can choose only SL 7.5.

Regarding the overnight freezes, I have been fighting against it
forever. It happens in every situation, simply every time I clik
"restart" or I close the pc without locking it, it freezes forever. This
started when I upgraded from SL 7.4 to 7.5. Before that, it was perfect.
Apparently, the issue was solved upgrading to SL 7.6 but now this second
issue kicked in.

Do you have any other suggestion?

Many thanks,

Stefano