SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2019

From:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2019 18:40:43 +0000
On 28/01/2019 14:10, S. Vergani wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am running scientific linux on a ThinkPad t440p. During the past 1.5
> years, I have been experiencing the same apparently unsolvable problem
> with SL 7.5. Every time I closed the pc without locking it or I tried to
> restart it, the pc froze and the only thing to do was to force shut
> down. I have been using GNOME classic but with any other desktop as well
> (I tried them all) the problem persisted.
>
> I upgraded yesterday to SL 7.6 and finally the issue disappeared. This
> morning I started again the session and SL was back to 7.5. When I start
> the session (I have windows 7 dual-boot) I can choose only between some
> versions of SL 7.5 and windows. The aesthetics is then exactly as it was
> with SL 7.5, but when I check which version I am running it shows SL
> 7.6. The old issue came back and again it freezes every time.
>
> Could someone help me with the matter? To summarize, the selections
> during boot phase, the aesthetics, and the old issues of SL 7.5 are
> back, but I upgraded to SL 7.6 and when I ask for the OS the output is
>
> NAME="Scientific Linux"
> VERSION="7.6 (Nitrogen)"
> ID="scientific"
> ID_LIKE="rhel centos fedora"
> VERSION_ID="7.6"
> PRETTY_NAME="Scientific Linux 7.6 (Nitrogen)"
> ANSI_COLOR="0;31"
> CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:scientificlinux:scientificlinux:7.6:GA"
> HOME_URL="https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.scientificlinux.org__&d=DwICAg&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=Aqd5_VH4PlFI7GAYLgL25bt5Og8RNo4gM-d9z9NJh7A&s=QXGDFZ1WCt4tUiw6xnohs8oDWnt_8gJoHiC7vW6ikH8&e="
>
> BUG_REPORT_URL="mailto:[log in to unmask]"
>
> REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT="Scientific Linux 7"
> REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT_VERSION=7.6
> REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="Scientific Linux"
> REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION="7.6"
>
> Many thanks,
> Stefano

Hi:  In the past people have found that their systems had not properly
upgraded.  I don't know  whether the underlying problems have been fixed
now, but this thread might help:

https://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind1805&L=SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS&P=13374

This bit of magic, from a recent post, is said to stop that link getting
camouflaged:

<begin pgp signed message to disable safelinks/>

The 'overnight' freezes problem really needs logs, or at least some
indication of what processes had been active.  Firefox videos, perhaps?

John P