SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2019

From:
"S. Vergani" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
S. Vergani
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2019 14:10:02 +0000
Dear all,

I am running scientific linux on a ThinkPad t440p. During the past 1.5

years, I have been experiencing the same apparently unsolvable problem

with SL 7.5. Every time I closed the pc without locking it or I tried to

restart it, the pc froze and the only thing to do was to force shut

down. I have been using GNOME classic but with any other desktop as well

(I tried them all) the problem persisted.

I upgraded yesterday to SL 7.6 and finally the issue disappeared. This

morning I started again the session and SL was back to 7.5. When I start

the session (I have windows 7 dual-boot) I can choose only between some

versions of SL 7.5 and windows. The aesthetics is then exactly as it was

with SL 7.5, but when I check which version I am running it shows SL

7.6. The old issue came back and again it freezes every time.

Could someone help me with the matter? To summarize, the selections

during boot phase, the aesthetics, and the old issues of SL 7.5 are

back, but I upgraded to SL 7.6 and when I ask for the OS the output is

NAME="Scientific Linux"

VERSION="7.6 (Nitrogen)"

ID="scientific"

ID_LIKE="rhel centos fedora"

VERSION_ID="7.6"

PRETTY_NAME="Scientific Linux 7.6 (Nitrogen)"

ANSI_COLOR="0;31"

CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:scientificlinux:scientificlinux:7.6:GA"

HOME_URL="https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.scientificlinux.org__&d=DwICAg&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=Aqd5_VH4PlFI7GAYLgL25bt5Og8RNo4gM-d9z9NJh7A&s=QXGDFZ1WCt4tUiw6xnohs8oDWnt_8gJoHiC7vW6ikH8&e="

BUG_REPORT_URL="mailto:[log in to unmask]"

REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT="Scientific Linux 7"

REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT_VERSION=7.6

REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="Scientific Linux"

REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION="7.6"

Many thanks,

Stefano

--

Stefano Vergani

Doctor of Philosophy Student

STFC Data Intensive Science Studentship Beneficiary

Department of Physics, Cavendish Laboratory

King's College, University of Cambridge