SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2019

From:
Ron Tapia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Tapia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2019 08:53:18 -0500
Hi,

One thing that I've found to prevent the mangling of links in my outgoing
mail is to include a line like:

    <begin pgp signed message to disable safelinks/>

You can see that I add it in my signature.

Basically, even Microsoft realizes that they can't mess with PGP signed
messages without making a lot of customers unhappy. They have a sloppy
method of detecting PGP signed messages. So, including anything that
is detected as a PGP signed message will prevent safelinks from
munging a message.

This points out one of the biggest security concerns about safelinks.
Namely, that users are being trained to blindly click on large,
unintelligible "safe" links. Eventually spearfishers are going to realize
that they can get around the URL munging and present users with a link
that looks a lot like a munged link. This URL munging is very bad for
e-mail security.

Cheers,

Ron

--
The more I learn about proprietary software, the more I worry that objective truth might perish from the earth. -Paul Romer