SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2019

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2019 21:08:41 -0600
On 1/14/19 6:52 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> The following announcement appears [snip]
>
>       Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 beta
>
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 provides a consistent foundation for
> enterprise hybrid cloud, delivering any application on any footprint at
> any time. The public beta is now open.
>
> End quote.
>
> How soon may we expect a SL8 beta?
[snip]

Looking at the release history [1], I would expect the SL team to
release SL8 about 3 months after RHEL8. The dev's have already said that
any SL 8 betas will probably be internal until RHEL8 releases [2].

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_Linux#Release_history
[2]
https://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind1812&L=SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL&P=421

I don't like FUD anyway, but I also happen to be in the camp that thinks
the fearmongering over IBM is over-hyped. Thus, I won't comment on the
rest. Red Hat is doing some things amazing well and they are doing other
things quite poorly. Fretting over what may or may not happen does no
one good. Let's just wait and see, shall we? :-)

~Stack~