SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2019

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Jan 2019 09:34:42 -0500
The library and dll files are still are a problem.

However, I just purchased VariCad a 3D modeling packange and it install
on a number of differenet systems without a hitch.  They just
incorpoarted libs into the package.

A complete contrast was the software development package from TI.  It
complained about lib differences and finally was installable using SL
7.6.  Using KDE desk top there is an error in KDE that when you clicked
on a information box to change a directory it just died.  You could
restart the app and it got to the same place and died - no error
message, it just packed up and died.
You had to go back to the video drivers and change a config file and
then it worked.  I would hate to say how many $$ we have in this.  If it
were not for a couple of good guys at TI who took and interest in prolem
we would never have gotten it to work.

Eagle for Linux has the same lib problems.
We did not purchase Eagle because the current owners are more concerned
with Icon develpment than install, performance and functionality.
Literally no significant progress in almost 15 years.

The list goes on - When will developers learn, this crap has been going
on for 30 years and we are not getting smarter.

VariCAD was a breath of fresh air.  Get a 30 trial and buy it as it
reads and writes ACAD, SolidWorks, Igis, and more.
For $600 it was a bargin.

This is not a VariCAD add but an example how smart developers do things.
A contrast.

Larry Linder