SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2019

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2019 16:30:58 -0600
On 1/7/19 8:06 AM, James M. Pulver wrote:
> I wonder how many Linux users are using something as unreliable and
> untrustworthy as a cloud storage provider that uses a proprietary
> interface?
[snip]

Yeah. There's no way I would trust my data to those vendors. Just look
at the news on just about any given week and at least one of those
vendors has had a data breach.

Most of the people I know who actually care about their data (and aren't
locked into something due to their company) host off a Nextcloud
installation. https://nextcloud.com/

Not only does Nextcloud provide self hosted, but they give a LOT of
details on best practices for securing the server. They even offer a
scanner to check for known issues/weaknesses https://scan.nextcloud.com/.

Works beautifully off of a Scientific Linux 7 system with the php
packages from IUS https://ius.io/ + a free dns domain + Let's Encrypt.
Easy setup and has clients for a ton of devices.

~Stack~