SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2018

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2018 04:14:21 +0000

On 10/28/2018 11:07 AM, Orion Poplawski wrote:

 > On 10/28/18 2:24 AM, Yasha Karant wrote:

 >>> Pressing <ESC> should get you the text boot messages which hopefully

 >>> should point you towards what is going wrong - or remove rhgb from the

 >>> kernel command line.

 >> Following your suggestion, I pressed <ESC> .  Ultimately, the boot hung

 >> at "Waiting for Plymouth boot screen to quit ..."

 >> Was something misconfigured/misinstalled by the yumex update of the

 >> kernel?

 >> I did note from the text messages that "Starting Gnome Display Manager"

 >> appeared at multiple steps.

 > Looks like the X server is failing to start for some reason.  You

 > should be able to ssh into the machine or do ctrl-alt-f2 to get a text

 > login window.  Take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, etc.  If you are

 > using nVidia drivers that's a likely suspect for what went wrong.

You were correct:  downloading via yum the latest elrepo nvidia package

solved that problem, only to reveal that there was no network connection

because iwl firmware needed to be updated. Although the previous SL 7

kernel would not go into Xwindows once the nvidia drivers were updated,

it did support a plain scrolling terminal on F2, etc., and yum update

iwl* as root addressed that issue.  Now the system reboots under the

current SL7 production kernel, the 802.11 network works (including the

security authentication that Network Manager, etc., has stored), and

Xwindows and MATE "work".  Thank you.

P.S.  The comment that one must disable certain GUI booting displays is

correct to get the full on-line text output, but the solution is not

obvious until one RTFM, etc., as there is no "prompt" for such a choice.