SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2018

From:
Orion Poplawski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Orion Poplawski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2018 12:07:31 -0600
On 10/28/18 2:24 AM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> On 10/27/2018 07:08 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> On 10/27/18 10:42 AM, Yasha Karant wrote:
>>> Using yumex, rather than doing a full update to SL 7.5 production, I
>>> attempted to update over the network the kernel, firmware, and libgcc,
>>> allowing yumex (essentially yum) to establish the needed dependencies
>>> (other applications, etc., that also needed to be updated).  The
>>> resulting kernel will not boot, but merely hangs.  If one waits long
>>> enough, the "progress bar" at the bottom of the screen does show the
>>> typical blue/white progression, but that is all.  When I reboot and
>>> manually select the previous kernel, the system reboots.  I am using
>>> MATE for a "control" GUI, although as the system never gets to the login
>>> screen, MATE should not be "active".   It appears that yumex (yum) does
>>> not fully resolve all required dependencies.  What other components must
>>> I update?
>>
>> Pressing <ESC> should get you the text boot messages which hopefully
>> should point you towards what is going wrong - or remove rhgb from the
>> kernel command line.
>>

> Following your suggestion, I pressed <ESC> .  Ultimately, the boot hung
> at "Waiting for Plymouth boot screen to quit ..."
>
> Was something misconfigured/misinstalled by the yumex update of the kernel?
>
> I did note from the text messages that "Starting Gnome Display Manager"
> appeared at multiple steps.

Looks like the X server is failing to start for some reason.  You should
be able to ssh into the machine or do ctrl-alt-f2 to get a text login
window.  Take a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, etc.  If you are using
nVidia drivers that's a likely suspect for what went wrong.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       [log in to unmask]