SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2018

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2018 08:49:47 -0400
On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 10:18 AM Alvi, Adil H <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Good Morning,
>

> I was trying to bind a workstation running SL 6.5 to AD, so that users can login with their AD accounts, and mount a Windows File Share Server binded to AD.

Stop here. You should update to the latest version of SL 6 if you're
going to continue to use it.

Second. AD registration can be done many different ways, but
installing "/usr/bin/net" and using the "net ads" command  from Samba
to register it works well. You can spend more time with "authconfig"
and "realmd" and other tools, but I find the /usr/bin/net tool to work
well.

Third: mounting anything normally requires root privileges. If the
mount points are well defined, and you're willing to store credentials
on the Linux server, you can sidestep this and use automount in in
/etc/auto.master and /etc/auto.cifs to store credeitnals and enable
well-defined specific mounts in advance. The "oddjob" tool mentioned
by Bruce Ferrell may work well, I've not used it since I wanted stable
mounts.

Fourth: activating an AD connection requires at least Kerberos client
setups, with "net ads" can do or the "authconfig" tool, and does
require good time synchronization with the AD server. Most NTP sestups
can do this well, but check for time drift on the AD server and your
local host.

The rest depends on details, like whether you have enough privilege to
actually register the host with tools like "net ads" or "realmd", or
whether you need to simply activate an LDAP "bind" account with
read-only access to LDAP to make things work.