SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2018

From:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2018 09:17:17 +0000
On 27/10/18 17:42, Yasha Karant wrote:
> Using yumex, rather than doing a full update to SL 7.5 production, I
> attempted to update over the network the kernel, firmware, and libgcc,
> allowing yumex (essentially yum) to establish the needed dependencies
> (other applications, etc., that also needed to be updated).  The
> resulting kernel will not boot, but merely hangs.  If one waits long
> enough, the "progress bar" at the bottom of the screen does show the
> typical blue/white progression, but that is all.  When I reboot and
> manually select the previous kernel, the system reboots.  I am using
> MATE for a "control" GUI, although as the system never gets to the login
> screen, MATE should not be "active".   It appears that yumex (yum) does
> not fully resolve all required dependencies.  What other components must
> I update?
>
> At one time, SL (EL) allowed one to do an update from local media during
> the boot from local installation media (e.g., a USB stick flash drive)
> -- this no longer directly is supported.  As I do not have the time to
> extract from the previous source how this was accomplished, and have not
> found a script (or GUI version thereof) that accomplishes the same task,
> I attempted a minimal update using yumex.
>
> Yasha Karant

Re-sending, with addition, to list:

I don't have your constraints on web access, but I have no current
issues with yumex.  There was some strangeness earlier in 7x upgrades
that may now have been fixed.  See the list archives, 2018 May 15

https://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind1805&L=SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS&F=&S=&P=13374

or

https://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A1=ind1805&L=SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS#15

And have you tried yumex again under the old kernel?

I don't know what video card you are using;  is it nvidia?  Have you
enabled rpmfusion-nonfree-updates (or some other repo with nvidia drivers?)

John P