SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2018

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2018 16:42:51 +0000
Using yumex, rather than doing a full update to SL 7.5 production, I

attempted to update over the network the kernel, firmware, and libgcc,

allowing yumex (essentially yum) to establish the needed dependencies

(other applications, etc., that also needed to be updated).  The

resulting kernel will not boot, but merely hangs.  If one waits long

enough, the "progress bar" at the bottom of the screen does show the

typical blue/white progression, but that is all.  When I reboot and

manually select the previous kernel, the system reboots.  I am using

MATE for a "control" GUI, although as the system never gets to the login

screen, MATE should not be "active".   It appears that yumex (yum) does

not fully resolve all required dependencies.  What other components must

I update?

At one time, SL (EL) allowed one to do an update from local media during

the boot from local installation media (e.g., a USB stick flash drive)

-- this no longer directly is supported.  As I do not have the time to

extract from the previous source how this was accomplished, and have not

found a script (or GUI version thereof) that accomplishes the same task,

I attempted a minimal update using yumex.

Yasha Karant