SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2018

From:
Bruce Ferrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Ferrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2018 16:44:03 -0700
On 10/26/18 7:17 AM, Alvi, Adil H wrote:

> Good Morning,
>

> I was trying to bind a workstation running SL 6.5 to AD, so that users can login with their AD accounts, and mount a Windows File Share Server binded to AD.
>

> After spending a week, I gave up. Steps, links/resources  to bind SL will be greatly appreciated.
>

> Best Regards,
> Adil

There is one "gotcha" to look out for: The linux time has to be extremely close to the AD domain controller.  if it isn't, linux can't join or authenticate.

That out of the way, authconfig-tui is VERY handy... It takes the drudgery out the process.

I used to do it by editing a bunch file files, running command line programs and waving dead chickens over sacrificial animals.

The utility is faster, easier and less messy.

Look into a pam plugin called oddjob.  It does the automounting of network shares.  yum search oddjob.