SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2018

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2018 04:48:27 +0000
Larry,

Thank you for your workaround.  I will experiment with it.

It is not angst (unless you consider the Great Firewall of the PRC an

issue for angst), but rather the inability to have bibliographic

integrity.  A URL can be a bibliographic reference, just as is a proper

reference to a journal article or proceedings, an IETF RFC, etc.  By

tampering with these bibliographic references, one loses integrity.  The

issue of the possibly ephemeral nature of URLs, as compared with

traditional hardcopy or equivalently archived documents, is a separate

one, just as is the long term integrity of digital storage media.  The

latter is a topic about which we can correspond off-SL-list, but is a

matter that is of significant concern to the community.

Yasjha

>>> wrote:

>>> One sets up a new or one of the existing /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo files

>>> to look at the locally mounted CD drive. I would copy "sl7.repo" to

>>> "sl7-local.repo", and reset the repository names to "sl7-local" and

>>> the like, and set their URLs to point to

>>> "file:///mountpoint/7.version/x86_64/os" and similar URLs.

>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_nkadel_nkadel-2Drsync-2Dscripts&d=DwIBaQ&c=B_W-eXUX249zycySS1AyzjABMeYirU1wvo9-GmMObjY&r=Z7xHp2tIJsvAE2FtPxl_lynvf4hA_FJ8mKsaIgvY6Dk&m=RT1c81ULE-0AAXhmXl3Y0eaJZ0yPhGaZLHC9N3oM0hs&s=r3JZw6l5f9xZhSR9sTX2gWvskXqOW9_hfegrgK-QAvU&e=