SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2018

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2018 09:45:30 -0700
Thank you for your assistance and information.

Several comments.

1.  All of the operations I performed were done using whatever is in the
stock repos (SL, elrepo, and the like) and whatever is in stock yum for
SL 7.1 (the base system that had not been fully updated in a while).  If
yum does perform the operation by first downloading all of the required
RPM files and then starting the upgrade, the files should be on the
machine.  It appeared from what I observed that some were downloaded,
the upgrade began, and others were being uploaded as the upgrade
proceeded so that two operations were happening in a multi-threaded
manner.  That is a guess as I do not know where to look for the detailed
logs as the system will boot (but no Xwindows).

2.  The mirrored RAID was done using whatever was "stock" in SL7 at that
epoch -- no outside special RAID was used.  Clearly, the information I
provided is insufficient definitively identify the RAID in question.
What scrolling terminal command(s) provide such information?

3.  What form of tar will copy a full directory (with both hard and soft
links) to a file that can then be restored?  I would use this for /home,
/opt , and whatever systems configurations directories that need to be
kept (SSH keys were mentioned).  If tar will not do this, what dd
command will?

4.  I have a USB drive that contains the full image of the bootable
installation procedure of a standard (not "everything") SL 7.5 ISO.
Presumably, this image contains all of the RPMs that one would need.

4.1 What is the explicit command that provides a list of all of the
current RPMs used in the SL 7.1 installed system?

4.1.1  Some of these came from non-SL repositories (such as the nvidia
update packages) that would not be in the SL 7.5 installation ISO -- how
does one configure the "repair" rpm invocation (not yum) not to go to
the network to get these missing files but still not "crash"?

4.2 How does one convert the bootable install ISO into a RPM
"repository" from which the replace packages rpm command will run --
*NOT* using the network?  I found an upstream vendor old set of
instructions, but these probably would not work for SL current.

4.2.1  Does the live system ISO bootable image require a network
connection to update, or can it be configured to use local USB media
from the bootable install ISO image?

4.3 My experience with updating packages (not a full system or
kernel/driver update) is that a "replacement" rpm file may require
additional rpm files that were not required by the package being
updated.  yum "automatically" takes care of this situation -- does rpm ?

4.4  Assuming that the nvidia package comes from a different distro,
could I first get an updated system without nvidia support, then install
the nvidia RPMs from USB media?

The tower chassis in question is on the floor under a table (used as a
desk) that has cables going from the back to the keyboard, monitor,
pointing device, printer, small local UPS power supply, and the RJ45
IEEE 802.3 LAN jack.  Note that the security system of the campus will
not activate a LAN jack with a different MAC address than the one
assigned to it -- replacing a 802.3 machine at this campus requires
explicit contact with the local IT management controlling the campus
LAN.  Moreover, if a system has been "off" too long, the security system
will "drop" the machine and require a call to IT LAN management. Thus,
removal of a hard drive is possible but tedious.  This has nothing to do
with SL but with local campus IT management policy (imposed by the
campus executive for "security").

The system did not "crash" panic  -- it simply hung for several hours
with no "visible" progress -- and was then rebooted.  It did panic with
the SL 7.5 kernel, but not the SL 7.1 kernel, just no Xwindows.

Thanks again for any assistance.

Yasha Karant

[snip for brevity]