SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2018

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2018 13:07:36 -0700
The response below does not seem to agree with what I observed.

The downloads strictly were from the specified repos for an update, all
from the web (no local NFS, etc., caching).  If what is stated below is
correct, unless yum is not re-entrant, once the installation (update)
had started, all of the necessary RPMS (perhaps one hundred) should be
on the harddrive. Because the old SL 7 system will boot (no X11), and
the files should be on the hard drive, then yum should be able to
re-enter where it "left off".

If the RPM files are kept in a temporary directory that is erased upon
re-boot, an unfinished update could (would) fail.

Assuming that the bootable SL system can get to the network (or will
this require "network manager"?), is there a way to force yum to start
the update from the beginning?

In the interim, I am going to image the system hard drive to a 2 Tbyte
external USB hard drive using dd.

If I cannot get yum to "restart", I will do a full install from the USB
ISO SL 7.5 install image, and then restore /home , /opt, ssh-keys, and
the like from the
image, unless a better approach appears in response.

Yasha Karant