SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2018

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2018 11:16:47 -0700
Another approach to consider:  the failed system is SL 7.2 and does boot
but does not bring up the GUI (e.g., ctrl-alt-F3 brings up a login
prompt on a scrolling terminal screen and all users, including root, may
log into the system).  I have other working SL 7.2 systems (I have had
no time to update and have no GSRAs or Staff right now to help).  If I
cp -pr /usr , /bin , whatever (but not /home and the like) from a
working system to the failed system, will the failed system then be able
to use other mechanisms for an update rather than a full new install of
SL 7.5 followed by a restore of /home and the like?

Why was this system being upgraded?  It appears that the Palo Alto
security systems on the end-users 802.3 network segment was
"complaining", hopefully "fixed" by SL 7 current.  (Different security
is used on the 802.11 networks.)

As the campus network where I work i not designed for reliable systems
work but rather end-user files (if the network glitches, simply repeat
the download, etc.), is there a mechanism to update from media, say
using the iso install image from a USB thumb drive?

Thanks for any assistance.

Yasha Karant