SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2018

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2018 10:40:50 -0700
Thanks for that approach.  As I can get to USB drives, would the
following work as root:

1.  Insert a blank multi byte external USB drive (e.g., Western Digital,
other vendors) on another machine and leave a blank format

2.  Assuming that the drive on the failed machine is /dev/sda (e.g.,
sda1 ... sdaN), and that the external drive appears as /dev/sdb,
issue

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

thereby "imaging" the current harddrive but having exact images of
/home, /opt, and the like

3.  Install SL7.5 from the bootable USB iso install image, manually
partitioning to same sizes as on the existing drive

4.  cp -pr /home and the like from the USB image drive to the "new" SL
7.5 system, thereby restoring all files

Note that the above has far fewer manual steps than the suggested procedure.

I often use yumex GUI to perform such updates.  If the network
"glitches"  during a yumex massive update, would the system again be in
an unbootable state?

Does anyone have a mechanism for SL7.5 to perform an upgrade rather than
a new install booting from the install ISO image file?

Thanks,

Yasha Karant