SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2018

From:
Ron Tapia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Tapia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2018 15:19:33 -0400
Hi,

PSU uses Microsoft "safelinks" as of a few months ago which is similar.

It was pointed out that this "feature" actually makes users less secure
and more likely to fall for phishing attacks. The complaints fell on deaf
ears.

You can't rewrite message bodies without breaking PGP signatures. Also,
you can't verify that a message is really PGP signed without every
sender's public key.

Microsoft just looks for "pgp signed" somewhere in the message body.

I'm sure that proofpoint has to do something similar. If you can figure
out what it does, you can at least cause your messages not to be
rewritten.

I'll include a couple of links here to see if my signature has any effect:

 	https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__arstechnica.com_&d=DwIBAg&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=T1iZwapzXbIi4JLbBCnP38Ro1p2oI3cIySeI0ZN-XJQ&s=_7L9QKlMXgH13BlmXTxbcGdOMxEWc3zglupXG8wMXXI&e=
 	http://www.fnal.gov/
 	https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.lanl.gov_&d=DwIBAg&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=T1iZwapzXbIi4JLbBCnP38Ro1p2oI3cIySeI0ZN-XJQ&s=mJql-MMfFHbr-rrtZcnnPCwDo_iVDv9yq1NcLMbcGQU&e=
 	https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.google.com_&d=DwIBAg&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=T1iZwapzXbIi4JLbBCnP38Ro1p2oI3cIySeI0ZN-XJQ&s=VMVCwSbpwpwIOJbXZRrcvGRmQxxShFWSta3rdH1ehts&e=

Cheers,

Ron

--
Blindly following a list of best practices is not a best practice.
<begin pgp signed message to disable safelinks/>