SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2018

From:
"P. Larry Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2018 13:40:44 -0500
I concur with the previous posts about ProofPoint.
The U of I campus implemented this several years ago.
I complained.  Fell on deaf ears.

Implemented by our security folks.  Rationale being that 99% of the campus email
users (i.e., using the campus Exchange server) are either too lazy and/or too
unaware of the dangers of blindly clicking on a URL in their emails.

However, U of I email with a URL in the message body shows the real URL (in blue
and underlined - unless the URL is hidden via the html "<a href=" construct),
but when you move the mouse pointer over the URL, (at least in Thunderbird) the
bottom horizontal box of T-bird (I'm sure it has a more official name) then
shows the long obfuscated urldefense URL.

So, in our case, one can just copy/paste the URL in the message body to a
browser and NOT go thru ProofPoint.

The other aspect of the U of I's ProofPoint config is that it only affects email
composed in HTML format, and since I generally loathe doing that unless
absolutely necessary, I almost always compose in ASCII mode.

So, I suppose this might be a test of how Fermilab has implemented ProofPoint as
I will now include a rather well known URL here (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.google.com_&d=DwICaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=Ma0w4F56naDITDGkKlQvVJtetzaOiMo7eexfGKNZgfo&s=j_HbB2h_p9zjRUhPqMrTbEdV3hg8KvFr66CCOEJkwDA&e=) and
see how it arrives in your inbox.

:-)

--
P. Larry Nelson (217-693-7418) | IT Administrator Emeritus
810 Ventura Rd.                | High Energy Physics Group