SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2018

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2018 08:30:53 -0400
On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 6:16 PM, ~Stack~ <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On 07/13/2018 07:22 AM, Manuel Sanchez wrote:
>> Greetings to the whole community; I have installed version 6.5 but I
>> need to know how to call the different servers or services and where are
>> the directories of the configuration files; to facilitate the answer I
>> try to simplify the text:
>>
>> -Server DNS: Bind?                      Dir.: .
> service named
> /etc/named

Optional. Does not run unless you install and enable it.

>> -Server DHCP: Apache?           Dir.: .
> service: httpd
> /etc/httpd

Optional: Does not run unless you install and enable it.

>> -Server FTP/SMB: Samba?         Dir.: .
> FTP really depends on what you are using.
>
> service samba
> /etc/smb

Very distinct services, also requires installation and enabling. FTP
is typically "vsftpd" on Scientific Linux.

>> -Server SSH: LDap???            Dir.: .
> LDAP really depends on what you are using (eg: idm, ipa, sssd, ect)

Again, very distinct services. And keep "LDAP", which handles host or
user or other organized information, very distinct from Kerberos,
which provides robust network based authentication.

> service sshd
> /etc/ssh

>> -Server Intranet/Net:???                Dir.: .
>
> I have no idea what you are asking here.

Yes, that one confused me too.

>> -Server SQL: MySQL?             Dir.: .
> service mysqld
>
> /etc/my.cfg
>
> I think...been too long since I messed with it. If I remember correctly,
> mariadb also uses the same config...

You mean "/etc/my.cnf". Not surprising, it had the same core author
and was named after his *other* kid.

>> -Server Proxy: Squid?           Dir.: .
>
> service squid

Matter of taste. I prefer nginx, myself.

> It's been far too long since I did anything with squid. You will have to
> hit up the man page.

>> -Server Domain: ???                     Dir.: .
>
> service ???
> /etc/???

Sounds like he means an active directory replacement? Samba can do
most of that, but it's a bear to backport the current Samba release to
SL 7 with full drop-in Active Directory features enabled. I'd grab the
latest packages form Sernet.

> ;-)
>
>> Thank you.
>
> You're welcome. :-)
>
> ~Stack~

Maybe you could describe better what you really are trying to achieve?

And if possible, hop to SL 7 rather than spending your time on SL 6.
SL 6 is at the end of its life, and you'll wind up re-inventing wheels
that won't even fit on modern cars.