SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2018

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2018 19:15:48 -0700
For more than a decade, I have used png2swf to assemble static
images into flash animations that I can add to web pages
and presentations.  An example here:

 https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__slides.launchloop.com__hc08t.swf&d=DwIBAg&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=QAiqNLbDhf9TbyfOQZt9J-k-VrEr0ZVJH3u9FmuLoAA&s=6xxyl7mO4womOvkEQxLhxUryQRUDgIuF0iCk_XTVCEk&e=

Mozilla's antipathy to Flash animations may someday make
my animations unusable.  My perhaps-erroneous understanding
is that HTML5 isn't a single video standard, but a container
for many incompatible video formats, some proprietary.

I don't care about Hollywood quality - I want archival
endurance.  What open-source browser-compatible video
format (HTML5 or other)  should I replace Flash with?
What open source tools can create that from a sequence
of PNG images, or translate from old flash animations?

Keith

P.S.: I use PNG because many tools produce it and modify
it.  For example, I produce PNG graphs with gnuplot, then
scribble on them with the gd graphics library, as the
example shows.

P.P.S. Apropos of not much, that particular graph is
obsolete; the new launchloop 2.0 design is 98%+ energy
efficient, the rotor temperature will stay below 400 K.
New graphs and animations when I choose a new format.

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]