SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2018

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2018 09:25:44 -0500
On 04/02/2018 07:02 AM, Elio Fabri wrote:
> Hi all,
> I want to switch from SL 6.2 to SL 7.4 (fresh install, not upgrade).
> In http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/7x/x86_64/iso/
> I see several iso files, but cannot understand which one fits my needs.
> I would like to keep a bootable DVD (not dual layer) copy and a live disk.
> Which are the right files to download?
>
> Thanks

If you want an offline install, you will have to either use a dual-layer
DVD or USB drive.  They don't package for single layer DVD anymore.  The
SL-7-DVD is usually adequate for this.  If you have access to a
repository (internet or LAN), the netinst iso will work fine for
installs.  It can also be used for rescue boot if I am not mistaken.

Any of the Live images will work, just pick your flavor.  The Live media
can also be booted and installed to disk, although you are initially
limited to the packages included on the image.

Last, you can roll-your-own as I do here.  I grab the netinstall image
and have a local repository.  From there I have a set of scripts/tools
that builds a custom image that fits on a DVD and includes my kickstarts
and additional packages I have made or from other repositories such as
ELrepo and EPEL.  It results in a built-to-need offline installer.

-Mark