SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2018

Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2018 08:03:12 -0400
On 04/07/2018 05:22 AM, Maarten wrote:
> I recently installed "Cinnamon Desktop" on my laptop, but the weird
> thing is all the menu items are really small and up close to each
> other. See the attachments, my desktop has the same packages installed
> and doesn't have this problem, I'm running nvidia drive 390.48 from
> elrepo. I tried installing the other drivers but those don't seem to
> be compatible with my system. Any one have an idea why my menu items
> are looking like this?

It may be because you have a relatively large screen and/or your screen
is set to a relatively high resolution.  If so, this has been a
long-standing issue:  Video drivers set the size of screen object based
on pixels.  Of course those objects should be sized instead according to
their visibility to humans.  To fix this, you could set the screen to an
inferior resolution.  Or perhaps there is a setting in the video driver
to make screen objects larger.  Some apps also have settings for larger
icons and/or text.

hth.