SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2018

From:
Gilles Detillieux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gilles Detillieux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2018 15:12:40 -0600
On 03/09/2018 03:00 PM, Stephan Wiesand wrote:
> On 09.Mar 2018, at 21:51, Gilles Detillieux
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> I wasn't sure if you could safely mix code compiled with and without the retpoline extensions into the same kernel, which is why I thought the Makefile threw an error.
> Looks like upstream it's just a warning and there's at least some dispute whether it's justified or even helpful: https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10162841
>
> - Stephan

Thanks for the follow-up. I sometimes forget how readily available
online these discussions are. When there are clearly expressed opinions
from people who know these things, it takes away any lingering doubt.
And we can always count on Linus to clearly express his opinions. ;-)

Cheers,
Gilles

--
Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <[log in to unmask]>
Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    http://www.scrc.umanitoba.ca/