SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2018

From:
Steve Talbott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Talbott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2018 08:20:11 -0500
Miles O'Neal wrote:

> I would look into a new video driver. Which driver were you using?

Nouveau, last updated a year ago in January.  I have now found this in the
7.4 release notes (should have looked before!):

   "The default DDX driver has changed to be xf86-video-modesetting.
   The previous defaults were xf86-video-nouveau (Nvidia hardware)
   and xf86-video-intel (Intel hardware)."

Sorry for my ignorance, but is there a way at the boot command to restore
the old default?  Or some other better approach?

One puzzle: this last kernel/firmware update, which caused the blank
screen after boot, seems to have been a 7.4 update, but /etc/sl-release
shows me still as 7.3.

Thanks.

Steve Talbott