SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2018

From:
Bill Maidment <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Maidment <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2018 14:30:35 +1100

The first USB stick was used to boot, but wireless network didn't work. I didn't try wired network. It could have been I was trying to use the network within chroot.
The second USB stick was used in addition to the first, to convey the fastbugs rpm files I needed. That was successful, but then I found the boot partition had been corrupted, so I reinstalled SL7 again and recovered my data from backuppc.
An interesting learning experience.

> I'm trying to figure out why you're doing dual boot. Does the Windows
> box not have enough resources to run VirtualBox, and run your working
> Linux in a VM ? I've found that very useful for development work,
> since Steam doesn't work as well on Linux boxes to give access to
> games I might like to play with all resources available.

I'm using dual boot rather than VirtualBox because I find the idea of running Linux under Windows abhorrent.
I may eventually rebuild the laptop as SL7 only.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions Nico.