SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2018

From:
R P Herrold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
R P Herrold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2018 01:04:56 -0500
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018, Bill Maidment wrote:

> It appears that I need to do yum install grub2-efi-modules (why wasn't this done before? I ask).

Packages are partitioned into a main and sub-packages, so that
the bloat of un-needed matter is avoided.  UEFI is relatively
new, and until Windows 10, not really mandated by Microsoft
installations.  Also the needed hardware (a TPM chip) was not
universally present, and so that sub-package would seem to be
bloat to most people

As to how to get a copy, using an second machine to retrieve
the needed package, and placing it on a data stick comes to
mind.  If no second machine is at hand, booting into Windows
and getting it comes to mind.  Also, an 'everything' ISO will
fit on an 8 or 16 G datastick, so one can 'pull the full
archive' and if there is a dependency problem it might be
resolved.  It is worth keeping a copy around for times like
this ;)

-- Russ herrold