SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2018

From:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Schanzle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2018 17:12:36 -0500
On 01/23/2018 12:01 PM, Stephen Isard wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 12:04:00 +0000, Ain't Nobody's Alt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> I had a Win10 and a second partition with a few backups.  That partition
>> was the "Active" partition according to diskmgmt.msc, which I assume
>> means it had my bootloader.  I went ahead and moved my backups from that
>> partition to my Win10 before I installed SL, not considering the
>> consequences of the location of my bootloader.  I could totally use the
>> Win10 recovery disc to reinstall the MS bootloader and then reinstall SL
>> since I just installed it anyway, but I'd rather try and set up GRUB
>> myself, for the experience.  That said, I have no idea how to start.  I
>> installed the yum package, but what now?  Can anyone link me to an
>> article or something to read that will give me an idea of how to begin?
> Try "info grub" (without the quotes) from the command line.  You should get a menu with "Installation" as the third item and "Booting" as the fourth.
> Hope that helps.

What major release (6 or 7) of SL are you installing?

"info grub" works for version 6, use "info grub2" for CentOS 7 (should be functionally identical to SL7), as provided by the package grub2-tools:

$ rpm -qf `locate grub2.info.gz`
grub2-tools-2.02-0.65.el7.centos.2.x86_64

Note grub*-install will generally find Windows partitions and set up boot entries for you.

But still, "info" doesn't offer lot of hand-holding for dual boot issues; I suspect google will provide better info, but who knows?  It might "just work!"  (Until Microsoft installs a major update and overwrites your Grub bootloader config.)

You also didn't specify UEFI or BIOS and if Secure Boot was enabled...all these options add to the complexity of finding the right solution to any problems.

Good luck!