SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2017

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2017 09:46:47 -0800
I know at one time that there was a proprietary (licensed for fee)
development environment that was native and portable to X11, Mac OS, and
MS Win -- that is, using this "magic" set of libraries, etc., the same
source code (ANSI C++ base as I recall) would have the same GUI
interface in the developed application on all three of these.  I do not
recall for which releases this worked.  (My assumption is that there
must be something still like this as many "major" web browser
applications have variants for each of these different environments.)

In a similar way, but hopefully open systems (not licensed for fee), is
there a lowest common denominator for Linux that will work on both Red
Hat and Debian based distros (e.g., SL, Fedora, etc., and Ubuntu, Mint,
etc.)?  -- not necessarily the latest and greatest, but write once
(preferably in ANSI C++ current GNU production release), compile on each
environment, and run.   I know that this works for various interpreters
(e.g., java, python) -- but we are looking for compiled to physical
machine code if possible.

Yasha Karant