SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2017

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2017 19:13:41 -0800
>> Same with Perl 5, although I find very few bugs in
>> P5 as it is mature.
> Perl has has a serious issue with modular dependency hell. You don't
> run into it, or run into one update breaking other components, if you
> stay within a stable distribution that does serious regression
> testing. You also have options to access more recent base versions of
> Perl, Python, and other dynamic, highly evolving, and less stable
> toolkits by activating the software collections channels.
>
> As you say: Perl 6 is not mature.Even Fedora does not consider it to
> be mature for mainline use. If you're out there at that bleeding edge,
> well, good luck with anything resembling stability. The CPAN modules,
> in particualr, are likely to add new components that solve one
> dependency and break previous releases of other modules. pip for
> Python, gradle and ant and maven for Java, all share the same problem.
> Testing, resolving, and backporting fixes to handle those dependencies
> is one futz of a lot of work.

Hi Nico,

I learned programming on Pascal and Modula2.  In
hindsight, C would have been better.  Anyway,
I live and die in Top Down and subroutines.

I jumped to Perl 6 as Perl 5's subroutine declarations
are a freaking nightmare.  Perl 6 is a beautiful clean up
for me.

And you are right, it is bleeding edge.  But I took to
it like a duck to water.  And the developers over on the chat
line are the most incredible fellows.  (So are the guys over
here; no one get their nose out of joint).  So far I have been
able to work around every bug I have tripped across (about 20
so far).

And the programs I have been and are writing are on Fedora
Servers where the anti-kaisen nature of RHEL and Friends
(clones) is not an issue.  I can get problem fixed.

By the way Geany works beautifully over "ssh -X" with no
clipboard issues like you get from xrdp.

The more I learn Perl 6, the more I wonder where it has
been all my life!

And has been pointed out to me on this group, an OS is stable
*ONLY IF* it is stable with what you want it to run on it.

I am loath to rip out SL7.4 as I have it all cherried out
the way I like and I do not have the expenses or time
to rip it out.  I should though as all my new customers
are on Fedora Servers. (The C236 issue and not supporting
new software.)  So I just leave a lot of the annoyances
in place hoping they won't kill me before I dump SL.

The thing about a Kaisen Linux OS is that you do not have to
update it.  At which point you no longer have the constant
new problems introduced.  (The Windows 10 folks are crying
blood over M$'s crazy updates.  What a nightmare.)

The thing about a Kaisen OS is that you have to ask yourself
if the two steps forward is worth the one step backwards.
And figuring THAT out is why the two of us get paid the
medium sized bucks.

I love virtual machines to test new releases.  My VM of
Fedora 27 Beta is sweet -- haven't found any issues it it yet
(the operative word is "yet").

My experience with Fedora is that it more like 10 steps
forward and 1 step backwards.  Lib-notify for example.
I reported it and it got fixed.  It would not have in RHEL
and Clones unless I had a subscription and then maybe it would
have taken several years.  Then again, the issue does not
exist in RHEL and Clones.

The uses you describe for RHEL and Clones sound perfect.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  (Hell, I still work on
DOS machines.)

In what I use it for, which is a combination Server, Virtual
Machine test bed, and workstation, it is a nightmare.  My
system is the opposite of a set and forget system.  I
still shutter over getting 32 bit Wine to work.

RHEL and Clones are a double edged sword.  It has
its purposes.  I made a big mistake using it as
it does not fit my needs very well.  I have been
trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

I think when I do finally jump SL for Fedora, the biggest
issue I will have is that I will have lost the support
from the guys on this group.  Their knowledge and willingness
to help are a considerable factor.

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.