SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2017

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2017 10:53:55 +0100
On 27/10/17 22:03, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 10/25/2017 12:48 AM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
[...snip...]
> So poop.  Now I get to figure out why my scanner takes EIGHT
> scans every time I ask for one.  xscan is cumbersome to
> use at its best.  I may switch to Simple Scan for most of
> everything.  I get tired of having to fix stuff all the
> time, but it is my job, so I should quit bitching and
> be glad I have a job ...

Generally, I use simple-scan for most of my scans.  If I want really
high quality scans where I want to manipulate the scan in gimp or
similar, then I use xsane.

Depending on the quality settings in XSane, it might do several scans.
And each time you zoom in/out and refresh the preview it will most
commonly also do a re-scan.  So I'd have a closer look at the DPI
settings and quality settings.

But generally, simple-scan does, in my experience, a very decent job -
despite lots of knobs, whistles and bells are hidden or simply not
available.  The most annoying thing for me is that it too often wants to
save the scan as JPEG instead of PDF by default (but not always).  And
that cropping could be set to a default value as well, but setting that
before the first scan will most commonly be kept for the following scans.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth