SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2017

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2017 16:57:38 -0700

On 10/27/2017 02:31 PM, Paul Robert Marino wrote:
> you understand the global sigterm correctly but there is a problem with
> relying on that. while it is true that a global sigterm is issued it is
> followed shortly afterward by a global kill. what that means is it may
> not give the database sufficient time to shutdown before killing it.
> whenever databases are involved you can not count on the global sigterm
> to shut it down correctly in time

Hi Paul,

Now I understand.  Thank you!

I was wondering why one would go through all the effort
to do a "ExecStop" in systemd if shutdown was going to send
SIGTERM to everyone anyway.  Well because the process might
not have long enough to shutdown before the SIGKILL or have
all its sub process complete properly either.

-T