SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2017

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2017 21:34:56 -0400
On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 09/28/2017 04:25 AM, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
>>
>> On 09/27/2017 09:56 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:

>> MAPI/exchange server is a royal pain and the exquilla add-on made it far
>> less so for me.  Your mileage may vary.
>>

> From my Tbird configuration for the email server in question:
> outlook.office365.com
>
> Supposedly, I am using office365 that you indicate is IETF IMAP compliant.
> The diagnostic on failure states "authenticated but not connected".  As for
> later comments in this thread, I too do not like fully integrated clients
> that also run additional servers (e.g., a RDBMS system) to operate.  It is
> true that Mozilla has a directory in which it keeps the "data" for email,
> etc., but this is one directory (and sub-tree thereof) that needs to be
> copied and restored.
>
> Yasha Karant

Storing individual messages in individual files, sacrosanct and
unedited, is part of the basic IMAP specification. I agree that an
additional database is usually cunnecessary. It can break down when
too many thousands of files are all in the same folder, but that's
easily handled by splitting off filders by date sent of the files
contained therein.

There are too many robust clients for IMAP to even number. I was fond
of the old "Pine" software, and used to organize hooks to enable SSL
for IMAPS for the public versions. "outlook.office365.com" does
indicate that it's the Office365 services, which are allegedly IMAP
compliant. I'd urge you to KISS: don't try ti import software such as
"davmail" what has apparently only ever been supported under Ubuntu,
do *not* use Java for an enitrely unnecessary "mail gateway". Work
with the simplest, most robust IMAP client you can find:

I admit that I switched my mail handling to Gmail some time back, for
stability and well supported access of bulky email. Thunderbird used
to be pretty good, and I used it recently to iron out some confusion
with an upstream Office365 service. It gave me a much more accessible
look at the older mail to have local copies of everything in
analyzable folders.