SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2017

From:
Bruce Ferrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Ferrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2017 04:25:42 -0700
On 09/27/2017 09:56 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> On 09/27/2017 09:50 PM, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
>> On 09/27/2017 06:33 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
>>>
>>> I have been instructed to use davmail by the university IT who insist that the university use a proprietary Microsoft email service.  Although the service nominally provides
>>> IETF SMTP and IMAP compliant access, this access has been unreliable.  I have found the following from http://davmail.sourceforge.net/linuxsetup.html and I have not found a SL
>>> 7 davmail RPM.  Does anyone use davmail with SL 7 and Mozilla Thunderbird IMAP and SMTP (my choice for an email client)?  If so,
>>>

>>>       Manual setup
>>>
>>> Prerequisite: OpenJDK 6 or 7 or Sun JRE 6. Tray icon is now implemented with SWT and compatible with Java 5.
>>>
>>> Note: some users reported issues with OpenJDK 6, please upgrade to OpenJDK 7 in this case.
>>>
>>> You should first download and install Java, with the graphical package manager or through command line.
>>>
>>> Under Ubuntu, launch System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager, quick search default-jre, mark for installation and click Apply
>>>
>>> Or use the following command:
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get install default-jre
>>>
>>> Download the linux x86 DavMail package from Sourceforge and uncompress it with your favorite tool. The standard package will run natively on x86, to use DavMail on any other
>>> hardware platform, replace the SWT with the right one from http://www.eclipse.org/swt/ or use the platform independent package.
>>>
>>> On Ubuntu and other Gnome or Kde distributions, just use the desktop launcher. On other distributions, try davmail.sh. You should now see the DavMail gateway icon in the tray :
>>>
>>> end excerpt that is followed by examples of the various GUI boxes that one must complete.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any assistance.
>>>
>>> Yasha Karant
>>>
>> From what you say, you may be using exchange and while davmail may do the job, I used exquilla.  It cost me $10.00/year for the license, but I found it VERY effective in dealing
>> with MS Exchange.
>>
>> From looking over davmail, it set's up a pop3/imap gateway to mapi mail services.
>>

>     Exquilla:
>

>     Reviews
>

>       *Add-on no longer working* Rated 1 out of 5 stars
>
> by deep-blue <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/user/deep-blue/> on August 2, 2017 · permalink
> <https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/exquilla-exchange-web-services/reviews/900573/>
>
> We use the program for commercial purposes.
>
> There are many problems:
>
> * Bad release management (add-on no longer works)
> * Poor support
>
> If there are no significant improvements, we will not extend a license.
>
> End excerpt.
>
> Do you disagree with the above review of exquilla?

Yes I have to disagree with that review.  I I started using the plugin four years ago and stopped about two weeks ago, when the company I work for changed from exchange server to
office365 (pop3/imap).  Any time I had a difficulty I opened a support case and received very prompt responses and fixes or explanations.

MAPI/exchange server is a royal pain and the exquilla add-on made it far less so for me.  Your mileage may vary.