SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2017

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2017 09:23:27 -0500
On 06/27/2017 08:15 AM, Lars Behrens wrote:
> Am 27.06.2017 um 15:05 schrieb Tom H:
>
>> We still (optionally) support the PRIMARY selection on the X11 backend,
>> and some compatibility layer for it on Wayland, but we have no plans on
>> adding support for the SECONDARY selection, as it's both barely
>> specified and, like the PRIMARY, highly confusing for anybody who is not
>> well-versed in 20+ years of use of textual interfaces on the X Windows
>> System. Personally, I would have jettisoned the PRIMARY selection a long
>> time ago as well, but apparently a very vocal minority is still holding
>> tight to that particular Easter egg. Adding support for the even more
>> esoteric SECONDARY selection on the X11 backend when we're trying to
>> move the Linux world towards the more modern and less legacy-ridden
>> Wayland display system would be problematic to say the least, and an ill
>> fit for the majority of graphical user experiences in use these days.
>

> Boy. I really dislike his arrogant sound. Already stumbled over
> something similar on the net, obviously written by that same guy.

No kidding! Don't know what his issue is.

> Primary selection for me is a major feature in GUI *and* shell.

Agreed. I use both the Ctrl+C and Middle-click extensively. Having
multiple clipboards that are easy and quick to use is fantastic!
Sometimes I need more in the buffer, which means one of my
multi-monitors usually has a never-saved text application open where I
dump tidbits for quick reuse.

LXER linked me to this article on additional clipboard managers recently.
https://opensource.com/article/17/6/clipboard-managers

I won't spoil it with personal biases as I am still working through the
list on my dev machine testing them out. There are some interesting
pro's to a few of them. If this is a need, give a few of them a try.

~Stack~