SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2017

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2017 14:20:09 +0200
On 09/07/17 09:03, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
> OK, before the flames start I KNOW it's not normal.
>
> Has anyone have a method to upgrade glibc beyond 2.12?

Upgrading core system libraries, such as glibc usually requires a full
rebuild of all applications.  Which then results in a brand new
distribution.  An alternative is to "side-load" such libraries into an
/opt or /usr/local directory ... but that adds plenty of other
head-aches ensuring the software you want to use the newer glibc needs
proper library paths.  In short, it's not worth the headache.

The least path of resistance is probably to do a 'yum install
--installroot' with a different set of yum .repo files from a newer
distro.  Then you just chroot into the installroot and run your
applications from there.

> I know sci 7 has 2.17, and except for the fact of it also having systemd
> I'd consider a full on upgrade, but systemd is completely unacceptable.

Fighting against systemd these days will just make you an even more
miserable person in the coming years.  Systemd have been adopted into
most actively and large Linux distributions.  I used to be a systemd
sceptic, but I have converted and nowadays I am much more annoyed by how
upstart lacks features.  Systemd isn't standing in my way any more.  But
it took a bit of effort to learn the new tools and how it works; it is a
different way to solve system management.

So if you loathe and dislike systemd so much and rejects learning it,
FreeBSD is probably a far better choice these days - with the challenges
that brings along.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth