SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2017

Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2017 08:28:45 -0500
Time to hang it up?

I use the clipboard all the time especially when I'm coding. Multiple terminals
each running a copy of vim.

I notice that many young programmers also use terminals and vim (or neovim) on
Macs. At least on videos of programming topics I'm interested in.  Do they not
use the clipboard?

On a more philosophical note:  I recall reading the X11 was all about capability
and not policy.  People who design software nowadays seem to be all about policy
and not capability. This is how you should do things.  F**k you if you don't get
it.

Very un-unix if you ask me.  The one feature I love about unix is the countless
permutations one can use its command line utilities to solve problems. Feeds the
creative side of me, methinks.  That's why I never got much into GUIs.

Oh well, the future belongs to the young. Maybe it is time to hang it up.