SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2017

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2017 06:17:05 -0400
On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 2:00 PM, Stan Orlov <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> We've just installed Scientific Linux with the hope to migrate some of our solutions from Windows to Linux. I ran into a problem with VNC and posted to this list, but nobody replied to it.  I am stuck and really hope to find guidance online. Can anyone suggest a list/forum that would be better suited for such questions?

Please include a fresh copy of the question, or a pointer to the
original note on the archives. I *wrote* the first published port of
VNC to SunOS way back when, which was a pain in the keister due to X11
version incompatibilities. It's gotten much, much easier to use since
then.

I'll also point out that VNC used to have some significant security
issues with keeping passwords in clear text in $HOME/.vnc/, which I
think has been much reduced.

If you decide that the X server built into your VNC client isn't good
enough, you can also consider the personal or even professional
versions of NX, which is available from https://www.nomachine.com/.
The big advantages are that it's a better user interface, better local
X server on your clients, and provides *much* better handling of
multiple users on your Linux server. It does not replace Remote
Desktop, which is the preferred and more stable way to log into a
Windows box remotely.

Frankly, there are a number of scammers out there who will talk you
into running VNC or tools like it on your Windows box, and then
monitor you rWindows use remotely. And VNC doesn't have a good concept
of "only use one copy". People tend to run numberous VNC servers
because they've simply lost track, and those are chewing up time and
leaving open security vulnerabilities if mishandled.