SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2017

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2017 14:23:52 -0700
On 06/24/2017 01:51 AM, David Sommerseth wrote:
> On 24/06/17 02:23, Todd Chester wrote:

>>> Nope:
>>>
>>> $ cat /etc/redhat-release
>>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.3 (Maipo)
>>>

>> Sounds to me like RH has lost interest in fixing anything in 7.3
>
> A clarification on how the Red Hat releases and updates work is probably
> in order.
>
> Red Hat have a few Errata categories - depending on how critical and
> sever an issue is.
>
> Important and critical bug fixes are fixed in erratas during the life
> time of the point releases (7.0, 7.1...7.3).
>
> Trivial and minor bug fixes, which does not impact stability, security
> and such will most commonly be postponed to the next point release.
> That also includes new features.
>
> If something is targeted for the next point release or is put in an
> errata for the current release is most commonly evaluated and decided on
> a case-by-case scenario by Red Hat's product manager and the package
> manager.
>
> You may want to enable the fastbugs repository, which will update all
> packages not been considered important enough for the current main
> repositories, but still important enough to ship to those who might care.
>
> A bit more info:
> <https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/faq/faq-updates/#updates-how>
>
> What you typically will notice when enabling fastbugs, is that the
> packages required to update from a 7.x with fastbugs to the next point
> release will be noticeably smaller compared to not having fastbugs enabled.
>
> But, you will notice that the updates will often be a bit fewer when the
> next point release is talking shape and especially after the public
> betas have been released.  That said, important fixes will still flow to
> the current stable releases where it is needed and supported.
>

> Hope this clarified more than added more confusion.

Hi David,

Thank you for the tutorial!

I checked out sl7-fastbugs.repo

[sl-fastbugs]
enabled=1

So I do have it.  I haven't seen any of the bugs I
reported show up.  Then again, RH specifically stated
that they release them in 7.4.  So, I will have to wait.
Aw shucks.

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.