SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2017

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Jun 2017 10:51:12 +0200
On 24/06/17 02:23, Todd Chester wrote:
> On 06/23/2017 03:04 PM, Steven Haigh wrote:

>>> Just 7.4.  When Red Hat Bugzilla notifies me they
>>> have fixed something, they say they fixed it in 7.4.
>>>
>>> The way RH sounds, RHEL is already on 7.4, but I
>>> haven't checked.
>>
>> Nope:
>>
>> $ cat /etc/redhat-release
>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.3 (Maipo)
>>

> Sounds to me like RH has lost interest in fixing anything in 7.3

A clarification on how the Red Hat releases and updates work is probably
in order.

Red Hat have a few Errata categories - depending on how critical and
sever an issue is.

Important and critical bug fixes are fixed in erratas during the life
time of the point releases (7.0, 7.1...7.3).

Trivial and minor bug fixes, which does not impact stability, security
and such will most commonly be postponed to the next point release.
That also includes new features.

If something is targeted for the next point release or is put in an
errata for the current release is most commonly evaluated and decided on
a case-by-case scenario by Red Hat's product manager and the package
manager.

You may want to enable the fastbugs repository, which will update all
packages not been considered important enough for the current main
repositories, but still important enough to ship to those who might care.

A bit more info:
<https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/faq/faq-updates/#updates-how>

What you typically will notice when enabling fastbugs, is that the
packages required to update from a 7.x with fastbugs to the next point
release will be noticeably smaller compared to not having fastbugs enabled.

But, you will notice that the updates will often be a bit fewer when the
next point release is talking shape and especially after the public
betas have been released.  That said, important fixes will still flow to
the current stable releases where it is needed and supported.

Hope this clarified more than added more confusion.

--
mvh.

David Sommerseth