SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2017

From:
"Steven J. Yellin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven J. Yellin
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2017 16:04:14 -0700
     Last November I was "automatically removed from the
SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS list (Mailing list for Scientific Linux users
worldwide)  as a result of repeated delivery error reports from your mail
system."  So one possibility is that your mail system is occasionally
failing to deliver mail to you from this list, but you haven't yet been
removed.  In my case, the reason was that the listserver sometimes sends
email with a header longer than 32768 bytes, which the SLAC mail system
couldn't handle.  FermiLab said such long headers are becoming necessary
because "cloud systems that everyone has and will be moving to, add
additional diagnostic info in the headers so if people report any errors,
they can more easily be diagnosed."  The solution was to convince the
managers of SLAC's mail system to increase their incoming header size
parameter.

Steven Yellin