SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

May 2017

From:
Scott Dowdle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Dowdle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2017 17:00:46 -0600
Greetings,

----- On 05/25/2017 03:13 PM, A B wrote: -----
> I would like to know if there is a way to tell SL 7.3 to install
> KDE, please!?

To install KDE, you pick the related KDE package groups and it gets installed.  It works.  Seriously.  SL even has a KDE specific live media (http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/7x/x86_64/iso/SL-7.3-x86_64-2017-01-20-LiveDVDkde.iso) that is 1.7GB and is KDE only.  That would be the best way to go in my opinion.  Why you would want to download the really large media containing tons of things you don't want, I don't know.  Maybe it is because you want all the packages you can get ahold of at the get-go since you claim the machine won't be on the Internet?

Anyway, I picked the 7.8 GB Everything ISO, picked KDE and it worked fine.

> Is there a way to tell the installation tool not to install gnome, please?

Unfortunately Red Hat (which SL clones) only has GDM (GNOME Display Manager) for a login manager.  They do not package kdm / sddm from KDE although sddm is available in the addon EPEL repo.  I prefer LightDM from EPEL myself... but it too will drag in some GTK-related deps.

Because GDM is what you get even when you pick KDE Plasma, you'll have a small handful of gnome-* packages.  I did a test install with just the KDE related package groups selected and the 1,300+ or how many ever packages that got selected included the following packages that start with "gnome-":

gnome-abrt-0.3.4-8.el7.x86_64
gnome-bluetooth-3.14.1-1.el7.x86_64
gnome-bluetooth-libs-3.14.1-1.el7.x86_64
gnome-desktop3-3.14.2-2.el7.x86_64
gnome-icon-theme-3.12.0-1.el7.noarch
gnome-keyring-3.14.0-1.el7.x86_64
gnome-keyring-pam-3.14.0-1.el7.x86_64
gnome-online-accounts-3.14.5-5.el7.x86_64
gnome-python2-2.28.1-14.el7.x86_64
gnome-python2-canvas-2.28.1-14.el7.x86_64
gnome-session-3.14.0-5.el7.x86_64
gnome-settings-daemon-3.14.4-12.el7.x86_64
gnome-shell-3.14.4-53.el7.x86_64
gnome-themes-standard-3.14.2.2-2.el7.x86_64

Yes, I see "gnome-desktop3" among those packages but it is really a common package that is only about 2.7 MB in size.  The "gnome-shell" package is about 9.7 MB in size.  Those are fairly small really.  If you add EPEL, install a different graphical display manager and make it default, I'm fairly certain you can later remove most if not all of the above packages... although I didn't try it.

It is possible that you selected more packages at install time than I did... and got even more gnome-related packages, but without any specifics from you, it is hard to guess.

> Is there a way to tell the installation tool not to install google, please?

Not sure what you mean by "install google".  The "gnome-online-accounts" package is installed and it is described as:

"GNOME Online Accounts provides interfaces so that applications and libraries
in GNOME can access the user's online accounts. It has providers for Google,
ownCloud, Facebook, Flickr, Windows Live, Pocket, Microsoft Exchange,
IMAP/SMTP, Jabber, SIP and Kerberos."

The only binaries from that package are:

/usr/libexec/goa-daemon
/usr/libexec/goa-identity-service

...and they are NOT running under KDE.  It would be nice to remove that package but unfortunately it is a dep for other things and takes out more than you want unless of course you replace GDM with something else and then you can rip it out.

> The recent versions of Fedora do not allow access to a command line

Fedora has access to the command line. Your statement is complete bunk. While some of their desktop environments don't put an icon for the terminal on the panel by default (I'm looking at you GNOME 3 aka Workstation and even KDE in SL), all of Fedora's live media for every desktop spin (except maybe for Sugar-on-a-Stick which is the OLPC desktop) has a graphical terminal program.  Any claim to the contrary is lunacy.  Or perhaps you meant something else entirely?!?  There are a lot of GUI terminal applications to pick from so perhaps your preferred one isn't there but there is always going to be at least one installed no matter what.

> To my horror I found out that I was not able to install the software I
> need for my work because virtually everything depends on libraries and SL
> comes with virtually no libraries. I spent many nights trying to install
> libraries and it quickly became a nightmare because of the
> interdependencies.

The only way you would have a problem is if you were manually downloading rpms (or copying them from the DVD media) and using rpm to install things.  rpm doesn't do dependencies.  It has been that way for decades.  yum does dependencies for you.  Use yum.  If yum is failing, again it is most likely because you aren't using the full repos you can get over the Internet.

While I was perhaps a bit snarky, I did put forth quite a bit of effort investigating your questions and trying to be helpful... and you're welcome. :)

It just so happens I make a personal remixes of Fedora, CentOS and SL... and on the later two I use EPEL and have LightDM, and XFCE installed by default.  No GDM. Not quite what you were looking for but it just serves as an example that getting rid of GDM on the install media is pretty easy to do by those that build it... but I'm guessing GDM is used because that is what Red Hat uses by default and they are trying to avoid being different... and want to avoid using third-party repos by default.

If you don't like those answers, please go back to wherever it was you came from. :)

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street