SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2017

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2017 11:13:25 +0200
On 11/04/17 10:30, Jose Marques wrote:
>> On 10 Apr 2017, at 18:23, David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> But I'll give you that Oracle is probably a very different beast on the
>> legal side and doesn't have a too good "open source karma".
>
> ZFS on Linux is based on OpenZFS (<http://open-zfs.org/wiki/Main_Page>). Oracle has no input into its development as far as I can tell.

Yeah, that /sounds/ like a clean implementation.  IANAL and also cannot
predict if the Oracle lawyers agree.

I have few doubts of the F/L/OSS "pureness" of many of the developers
hired by Oracle, working with various upstream communities.  But I do
fear the intentions and attitudes of the Oracle business side people,
including the CEO.  ANd also consider that the ZFS name is a registered
trademark.

But that aside, according to [1], ZFS on Linux was considered stable in
2013.  That is still fairly fresh, and my concerns regarding the time it
takes to truly stabilize file systems for production [2] still stands.

[1] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenZFS>
[2]
<https://listserv.fnal.gov/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind1704&L=scientific-linux-users&F=&S=&P=15675>

--