SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2017

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2017 13:39:50 -0500
> On Sat, Apr 8, 2017 at 5:36 PM, ~Stack~ <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
<snip>
> Because they're trying to weld NetworkManagers's graphical interface,
> on top of  poorly integrated command line interface, on top of the
> actual underlying bash scripts that do the real work. It's Fugly Out
> There(tm). NetworkManager for RHEL 7, and thus for CentOS 7, even
> introduced the concept of parsing multiple infividual ifcfg-* files to
> manage the same actual device, such as multiple file to manage
> ifcfg-eth0 in ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-ethp-slave. The result is madness.

I haven't looked at the code, so I can't comment directly. However, I
have it from both the RH documentation as well as a RH developer I know
from a convention that the majority of the scripts/programs we know and
love from yester-year are not actually the tools we think they are.
Networking, ifup, ifdown, ifconfig, ect are all under-the-hood
re-written to check in with NetworkManager first before they do anything.

It's part of why I need to learn these new tools better.

> In case it's unclear I am *not* happy with NetworkManager for servers
> or stable environments. Laptops that have to wander from environment
> to environment need multiple VPN's, yeah, OK, I can see having a more
> complex tool. But for a  VM? Or a server?

I 100% agree. When NetworkMangler (as I called it for a long time) first
came on the scene, I ripped it out of everything. Then I realized that
it actually did a darn good job of handling my wireless connections and
made it less painful than the manual methods I had been using.
Discovering profiles for my laptop for all the different networks I was
on was awesome! But I still ripped it off of all my servers.

> I'd like to introduce you to wone of my favorite settins for
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files, or even for
> /etc/sysconfig/network, or if you feel really paranoid, /etc/profile.
>
>           NM_CONTROLLED=no
>
> Turn *off* NetworkManager manipulation for anything that doesn't need it.

Yup! That is on just about every single one of my servers. At least
until I understand NetworkManager much much better than I do now. Which,
I am trying. :-)

>> If it was just one document, then whatever. But I've seen that in
>> several of the RH documents as well as on several blogs/webpages. What
>> am I missing? What is the difference and why should I prefer to take
>> down a connection with "device disconnect" but bring it up with
>> "connection up"?
>
> See above. NetworkManger is a complex management layer un top of the
> actual "ifconfig" tools managed by the various
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, and for many operations it simply adds
> instability and confusion.

Not any more is it on top of those tools. NetworkManager is core and
they check in with it.

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Networking_Guide/sec-NetworkManager_and_the_Network_Scripts.html

Thanks for the feedback!
~Stack~