SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2017

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2017 13:48:09 +1000
On 09/04/17 12:59, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> In case it's unclear I am *not* happy with NetworkManager for servers
> or stable environments. Laptops that have to wander from environment
> to environment need multiple VPN's, yeah, OK, I can see having a more
> complex tool. But for a  VM? Or a server?

Yep - I've gone as far as removing NetworkManager completely from my
servers.

A few months ago I drank the koolaid and set up nmcli with my Xen server
- and it was a pain in the backside. Finally got it working, but it
still decided to drop the bridging interfaces randomly (causing all VMs
to disconnect from the network) and wouldn't bring them back up.

I ended up reverting to manually creating ifcfg-* config files and
scrapping all plans of migrating to anything NetworkManager.

The down side is that you lose the network-online target for systemd -
which can cause its own problems - but its worth working around those
for a stable network config.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [log in to unmask]