SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2017

From:
Ron Tapia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Tapia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2017 08:46:06 -0400
Hi,

I'd like topoint out an often overlooked tool, graphviz (dot):

 	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphviz

It's included in SL:

 	graphviz.x86_64

It is specifically for generating figures from graphs (lattices) specified
in a very simple language (dot).

It's not a general purpose tool, but it can save a lot of time if you find
yourself generating a lot of figures involving graphs/lattices.

Cheers,

Ron

PS - Someone mentioned using make for documents. I use make/git for my
documents as well. It's nice to be able to edit a dot file, type "make",
and have the graphics as well as the document rebuilt. Keeping documents
in a git repository with all of the history is incredibly useful.

--
Goodhart's Law: A metric used to regulate an activity ceases to be a useful metric.