SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2017

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2017 11:50:35 +0200
On 05/04/17 00:58, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 05/04/17 05:44, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
[...snip...]
>> ZFS is also scary, but seems to behave well, even in the presence
>> of "bad disks". ZFS scrub seems to overcome/rewrite bad sectors,
>> bad data on disk (if I poop on a disk using "dd"), all without corrupting
>> data files (I compute and check my own sha-512 checksums for each file).
>
> Heh - another soon to be victim of ZFS on linux :)

ZFS looks great, so does btrfs - on the paper.  But until ZFS is native
in Linux or btrfs stabilizes on the same level as ext4 and XFS, I'm not
going that path for production environments :)

Most of the nice features I need can in most cases be handled with
md-raid, LVM and XFS.  And those have worked very well over the last
decade for me.  I have not experienced a single data loss despite
failing drives, plus I have replaced drives and expanded the mount
points dynamically with close to no downtime (some hosts don't have
hot-swap, which will require some downtime).

[...snip...]

> However, BTRFS is very stable if you use it as a simple filesystem. You
> will get more flexible results in using mdadm with btrfs on top of it.

This is my understanding as well, in addition to this is what several
file system gurus also say.

> mdadm can be a pain to tweak - but almost all problems are well known
> and documented - and unless you really lose all your parity, you'll be
> able to recover with much less data loss than most other concoctions.

I believe I found out what my issue was.  It really seems to have been
caused by poor cable seating.  After taking server down for "physical
maintenance" (vacuum cleaning, cable/drive re-seating, etc) no errors
occurred again.  I had failures happening regularly at at often around
30 minutes intervals or so before this.  Now the server have been up for
14 hours without a single failure.  Before it didn't even manage to
complete several of the longer smartd self-tests.  But after this
maintenance round, all tests completed without any issues or error reports.

Re-adding (mdadm --re-add) the failed drives also worked flawlessly.
RAID 6 recovered incredibly quickly (despite it being 4TB) - took about
10 minutes.  So this time, it was yet another md-raid + LVM + XFS success.

But what I really learnt was that the SMART pre-failure reports from
smartctl may not always be as bad as it sounds.  I discovered that
Seagate puts a lot of additional data encoded into these fields and
these numbers must be decoded properly.  In addition it's key to
understand the calculations done for these reports too.  And in
particular the RAW_VALUE column can be very misleading.  One of the more
interesting reads I found was this one:
<http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/Seagate_SER_RRER_HEC.html>

--
kind regards,