SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2017

From:
"Eve V. E. Kovacs" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eve V. E. Kovacs
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2017 17:09:44 -0500
I have been running KDE on my SL6 linux desktop for several years with
no problems. I started with SL6.3 and it is now at 6.8.
I've just done a number of upgrades of SL5 machines. You can choose to
install KDE when you select the desktop environment.
(All my machines are 64-bit.)
Cheers,
Eve

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017, John Pilkington wrote:

> Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 15:21:21 -0500
> From: John Pilkington <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Scientific Linux 5 End of Life
>
> On 31/03/17 20:06, Larry Linder wrote:
>>  We are still using SL 5.10 on a number of workstations.  The users are
>>  used to using KDE with a lot of desktops - 12 or more.  We switched a
>>  number of boxes to SL 6.8 and we get a lot of grumbles about desktop.
>>  We run VMWare and load applications that require Windows there.  We have
>>  everything from Windows 2000 Server to Windows 10 on system.
>>
>>  Thank you All for an excellent OS.
>>  Got a number of responses but there were a lot of missing parts we could
>>  not locate.  Anybody really done it?
>>
>>  If we could only have KDE for SL 6.
>
> The screen on my SL6 32-bit laptop stopped working a few months ago and I
> haven't felt an urgent need to get it going again - but KDE seemed fine to
> me.
>
> http://apt.kde-redhat.org/apt/kde-redhat/sl/6/x86_64/RPMS.stable/
>
> John P
>

>>  Thank You
>>  Larry Linder
>>  MicroControls LLC
>>
>>  On Fri, 2017-03-31 at 21:12 +0200, Stephan Wiesand wrote:
>> >  Time for a loud and clear "THANK YOU!" to the (present and former) team
>> >  members for a full decade of remarkable support for SL5.
>> >
>> >  - Stephan

Eve Kovacs
Argonne National Laboratory,
Room L-177, Bldg. 360, HEP